Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Letter from 12/31/09

Dear Family,

Happy New Year! I hope everyone is having fun and being safe tonight. I don't want to hear about anybody doing the 'watermelon crawl'! (But it's better than driving I guess.)

Today being New Year's Even, we weren't supposed to proselyte after 5:00 p.m., so we had our weekly planning session or U.P.S. (The U is for Ultimate) tonight instead of in the morning like usual. We tracted a lot in the afternoon, but without much success. Elder Wayment goes home on Monday to Ogden. He still works hard, but he is getting pretty trunky. We went to the bank today to get him some money to pay for his luggage on the way home and he found out he has been getting hit with a monthly fee for not using his debit card often enough. Do I need to worry about anything like that?

We took Tim to Kirtland with us yesterday. That was really cool. We got to see the special international nativity display exhibit they have set up, watch the Joseph Smith movie, and tour the Newell K. Whitney store. The Spanish elders brought an investigator as well, (Elder & Sister Hartman drove us) but they separated from us so they could have the tours in Spanish. The sisters giving the tours were really good and the Spirit was strong. It was a really cool experience and I think it was really beneficial for Tim. I just hope we can start getting Barbara to participate more actively in our lessons.

So, I've realized recently that this area has really started to prosper. I didn't notice for a while because it was so gradual, but when I got here in August we had zero solid investigators and now we have baptismal dates with two and are talking about setting two more. I guess all I had to do to see the Lord's work progressing was just open my eyes.

That was so great to get to talk to y'all on Christmas! I can't wait 'til Mothers' Day now! (Surprisingly, Mother's Day has recently jumped up in the ratings to being my 2nd favorite holiday!)

I love you! Keep reading the scriptures and having family prayer! I am gaining a stronger and stronger testimony of how important those things are!

Love,
Elder Smith