Tuesday, January 12, 2010

E-mail 1/11/10

Hello! Happy Birthday Cody!

That's pretty cool that Dad would play Rock Band with you! No way! Did he actually like it and have fun or just do it to make you guys happy? That's so cool!

I'm glad everybody in our neighborhood back home is being nice and neighborly. We say hi to everybody in our apartment complex and a couple people we see regularly recognize us and say hello. I guess a lot of the students in the ward who are from out west are kind of shocked at how standoffish, not-nice, unneighborly, etc. their neighbors are.

That's horrible that somebody would 1. take a phone into a temple session, 2. have it ring, and 3. answer it! Terrible! It seems like that would be common sense and you wouldn't need to have a church lesson on it, but I guess not.

I might get to speak in sacrament next week - Bro. Davis will tell me sometime in the week.

Yep, I sent out like 10 letters last week. I am missing some peoples' addresses, though, because I either threw away the envelopes they came in or I couldn't read the writing on the return address. I also sent you the letter I sent out to people and wrote which addresses I needed on the back of it or somewhere, but I guess you didn't get it yet. I can't remember which ones I am missing at the moment, but please send me those peoples' addresses when you get the letter.

So what do the ward missionaries talk about in our home ward? Activation and retention? What are lap weights?

Zion's mall sounds like it will be pretty cool. Is it for the RS or the YW?

Sounds like everybody had a pretty easy cow elk hunt. At least you were prepared, though.

Our weather is snowy, snowy, snowy. We saw the sun for the first time in weeks the other day, but now it is snowy again. Also cold. We bundle up pretty well, though.

I hope you guys have fun at Klondike. Did you make a sled and everything?

I haven't made fajitas yet, but I got your box the other day and I'll buy the necessary supplies today since it's P-day. Fajitas call for a lot of things that you don't generally find in a missionary apartment (I looked 3 times through the recipe trying to figure out where to put the ramen noodles).

How are our meals going? We only had 2 meals scheduled with members this week, so we not-so-subtly mentioned to a few people that we had nothing planned on several evenings and now we have 5 meals. Also, I put a few quotations from the latter half of Matthew 25 on the cover of the meal calender that gets passed around Relief Society, so maybe that will help motivate people in the future."for I was an hungred and ye fed me; I was thirsty and ye gave me drink""Lord, when saw we thee an hungred and fed thee, or thirsty and gave thee drink?""Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."I didn't write down the last couple verses about what happened to those who did NOT feed or give drink unto the least of these his brethren...I thought that might be a little too much.

I'm glad Delaney is having fun driving. We saw a bumper sticker yesterday that said "If you don't like the way I drive, then get off the sidewalk!" I thought it was pretty funny.

Thanks for all the pictures included in your last letter, that was fun to see. Isn't Penny just so cute!?!

Cody's eagle project sounds really cool! Do I know who AJ is? What timetable is he looking at for completion of the project? Are all the scouts going to be helping with it? Are they all going to go up together on a Tuesday or two and do it or what?

What do you want for your birthday, Cody? Probably kind of hard to say right after Christmas, huh? Tell me what you get.

So, we have a car now. It's about to be sold so we only get it for a few weeks, but it's a good sight better than nothing. Yes, the GPS is beneficial, thank you.

Latest on investigators:

Tim&Barbara: Dropped their baptismal dates; we don't think they're ready quite yet. Tim came to church last week and yesterday. We are still teaching them, trying to get the whole apostasy and restoration and authority idea into their heads. And Tim is still smoking a little, which is too much.

Destiny: Didn't show to church this week, but we're still teaching her. She just really needs to read the Book of Mormon and pray about it. That's what we're focusing on with her.

Brenda: Has been reading the Book of Mormon and praying about it, but isn't sure she's received an answer yet. Please pray with us that she will receive and recognize the Holy Ghost, or that we will be guided to find out why she isn't.We were at another investigator's house and she gave us a Catholic prayer book that had belonged to some deceased cousin. She thought it was a bible. (obviously she hadn't read it).

Love, Elder Smith