Saturday, October 10, 2009

Missionary or drug dealer?

10/7/09

Dear Family,

Hello, I just thought I'd write and tell you about a funny story that happened yesterday. Elder Marini and I pretty much got mistaken for drug dealers.

It all started when Elder Marini realized he didn't have the phone. We thought he had probably lost it on the rapid (train) so we searched a few train cars and talked to the drivers, but no luck. Our dinner appointment was supposed to pick us up at a train station so we waited for them and when they arrived we used their phone to call our number. Someone answered and said we could pick up the phone at the airport convenience mart on Rocky River Drive, so we headed that way. We have an investigator in that area and it is a pretty ghetto store surrounded by government housing projects. We got to the store and proceeded to wait for our man. We were dressed up in our black trench coasts, arms folded, loitering in front of the store, looking for all the world like drug dealers. Then the guy (shabby looking) with our phone waves at us, we go pick up the phone, and we all walk away. A couple of cops had been watching us and pretty soon Elder Marini was cornered between a wall and two very no-nonsence body-builder looking cops. They already must have had us tried and convicted in their minds. It probably looked exactly like a drug deal.

It reminds me of the time dad and I got pulled over for poaching - we were already guilty.

Anyways, I just thought I'd tell you since I thought it was funny. I have an appointment to hurry off to, so goodbye.

P.S. I might not be able to email til later in the week, I am not sure.

Love,
Elder Smith