Monday, November 23, 2009

Email from November 23rd







This is Matt's new companion Elder Pickett. Maybe this picture was taken after he found out he was Matt's companion.


Hello Everyone! Happy Thanksgiving!

I am still just living on a cloud today because I was so excited that Tim finally came to church yesterday. Allow me to include an excerpt from my weekly letter to President Sorensen that I just finished writing: "Dear President: Tim finally came to church yesterday! I was so excited. Church was great, the ward was very friendly and welcoming, and all the men were introducing themselves, talking to, and fellowshipping Tim. Also, this week was the ward's primary program so he got to see that as well and he said he loved it. I am really grateful to be serving in such a wonderful ward. Tim even said that he would bring his mom next week, too." As you can tell, I was pretty excited. We have had Bro. Branch teaching him with us a couple of times (I think I have sung Bro. Branch's praises to you before), and he picked him up on Sunday, showed up to church early, gave him a tour of the church, looked at all the pictures in the building, sat by him at church, and everything. We (Elder Pickett and I) were there too, but Bro. Branch would have done just fine without us.
Congratulations again on the deer. I don't know what I should congratulate you for more: getting four deer or giving away four deer. Well done either way. I will be waiting with bated breath for the letter with all the glorious details and for some jerky.

So it sounds like everybody in Utah was saying their prayers or going to the temple often or doing their home/visiting teaching or something this week, since BYU and the U both won, RSL won the soccer thing, and Bingham won state. I can't wait to hear about the holy war.
I am so jealous that you got to go see Les Mis! These musicals - it seems like everybody is into them. Just this past week we couldn't find a member to come with us to a discussion because all the students were going to see wicked. Think you could send me the lyrics to the "look down" and the song where Javert confronts Valjean? I think it is the one after "who am I?". (I would just look them up online, but that would be a no-no.)

Well, I'll tell you how Dad could tell Penny wanted to go Pheasant hunting. It's pretty simple: the same way you can tell if a fisherman is lying. Her mouth was open. I'm pretty sure she also wants to go hunting when her mouth is closed, as well, though. So there you have it: if her mouth is open or closed, she wants to go hunting. (You can use the same rule on Dad as well.)

Elder Pickett is good, he works hard, he's easy to get along with, he's a good teacher, he has a strong testimony, pretty much all you could ask for in a companion. He's been out for 14 months or so, I think.

Oh, I forgot to mention: we had our once-per-transfer interviews with President Sorensen last week and he thought it was funny that I wrote in a letter that he lost the revenue from the donuts and drinks because Holiday was closed at 4:00 am.

I'm glad you liked the photos/videos on the SD card. I wasn't sure if it recorded audio as well, because I couldn't figure out how to get the camera to play it with sound, but I guess it did. The halloween decorations were from a member's house, I think. Sorry I don't take many pictures. There's just not much here that makes me think "oh! I should get a picture of that!"

Yes, I got the box from Grandma Wilson. I had meant to send her a letter last week (and a lot of other people, too), but I just keep running out of time. I'm hoping to write a bunch of letters this week, though.

Per your question, the Lights have 3 kids, I think. They all look to be middle school or elementary school age. (This is the family they are spending Thanksgiving with.)

Well, I have got to be going.

Love you!

Have a happy Thanksgiving and say hi to everyone for me!
Love, Elder Smith